I have been using non-toxic house cleaning methods since the early 2000’s. In 2006 I started a green cleaning company with several family members. The company is still going strong today.
We make our own cleansers at home and our website freely published the ingredients. A lot of other companies use store bought brands, whose labels clearly indicate ingredients that are NOT in the bottles, such as, “Does not contain phthalates”. I guess they are afraid of someone stealing their ‘secret’ recipe.
I’m not afraid of that. It’s not a secret. In fact, I want you to steal this recipe! Please take it. It is helping to detoxify our world and it really works to clean the entire house extremely well.
You know how the grocery store has a big aisle full of poisonous cleansers? They make it seem like you need a different concoction for every part of every room. One for the counters, one for tile, one for grout, one for the floors, one for windows, one for tubs, one for toilets, one for furniture… OK that’s it, Call Captain Bullshit !!!
In swoops the superhero, with cape flying! The magical finger of truth aims directly at these dealers of toxic pollution, and the declaration is proclaimed… “Bullshit!” The fact is that we simply don’t need any of that crap.
Here is the super simple recipe to make an all-purpose household cleanser. It’s made from things you probably already have in your food cupboard, plus a few essential oils that not only smell great, but are antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial too.
Here are the 10 ingredients we use to make our green cleansers:
- olive oil
- ginger root
- lavender oil
- baking soda
- eucalyptus oil
- Australian tea tree oil
- biodegradable liquid soap
- the most important ingredient, good energy
As you can see, everything is recognizable and pronounceable.
Here is the method:
- In a large cooking pot, add:
- 4 Litres (1 gallon) of water
- 1 large chopped ginger root (about 2-3 cups)
- Boil for 20 minutes with the lid off
- Cool to room temperature
- Strain and discard the boiled ginger
- Pour the liquid into a 4 Litre (1 gallon) container
Add the following into this container:
- 1 litre of white vinegar (4.5 cups)
- 2 tsp biodegradable liquid soap
- 1/4 tsp lavender oil
- 1/4 tsp eucalyptus oil
- 1/4 tsp Australian tea tree oil
Shake before pouring into spray bottles and shake the spray bottle before each use.
Clean Everything in Sight
This wonderful recipe cleans almost everything in any house, especially when combined with baking soda. Together vinegar and baking soda provides a marvellous frothing scrub. The vinegar is mildly acidic and the baking soda acts as a gentle but amazingly effective abrasive.
Try the baking soda together with the cleanser in tougher spots, like inside your oven, fridge, or on your bathroom tiles and in your tub and toilet. If the dirt, grease or grime is really baked on, try letting it sit and soak for a few minutes before applying a scrubbing action. Everywhere else, such as floors, counters, cupboards etc., can be sprayed and wiped down with the liquid on it’s own.
A few exceptions:
- Don’t use the spray on glass, such as mirrors or monitors, because the oils cause a haze. Simply use a bit of water. A slightly damp microfibre cloth is usually all that is required.
- It is not recommended to use vinegar on marble.
- There is some conflicting information about using lavender while pregnant. Consult your health practitioner and/or do your research before using any essential oil if you have health concerns.
- Fine woodwork is best cleaned with: 1 part vinegar, plus 2 parts olive or mineral oil. Shake before each use. Spray on a cloth (not directly onto the wood), polish the wood, then wipe off and buff with a soft cloth.
I hope you give these non-toxic house cleaning options a try. It works wonderfully, is non-toxic, and will also save you a bunch of cash. Making your own cleansers is a great minimalist and environmentalist decision. It’s easy to make and lasts for months. If you’re adventurous, you can try out some other essential oils for cleaning. Enjoy this aromatherapy for you and your home.